Time: 1 hour + cooling time
Servings: 8-10 slices
Classic, classic, classic. A recipe you can rely on to please that sweet tooth. With a mandatory cream cheese frosting, delivered with a slight zesty twist to tantalise the tastebuds. Bonraw’s Organic Coconut Blossom Sugar enhances this traditional recipe while smooth Silver Birch Icing sugar adds the idyllic final touches.
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 275 g BONRAW Organic Coconut Blossom Sugar
- 300 g carrots
- Zest of one fresh orange
- 275 g self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 100 g walnuts
- 360 g Philadelphia cream cheese (for the frosting)
- 120 g BONRAW Silver Birch Icing Sugar (for the frosting)
- Pour vegetable oil, eggs, and Organic Coconut Blossom Sugar into a large bowl. Mix gently. Add the grated carrots and orange zest and then mix again.
- Sift the flour into the batter, then add bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Then mix again (do not over mix).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease three 20cm cake pans with butter or a spray.
- Chop the walnuts and fold them into the mixture, divide the batter evenly between the cake pans and bake for approximately 25 minutes until cooked through and a cake tester comes out clean. (It’s a very wet mixture so don’t panic if it’s not perfect).
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool for about 5 minutes in the cake pans, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Whilst the cake is cooling, make the cream cheese frosting. Add cream cheese and Silver Birch Icing to the bowl of your mixer.
- Fit mixer with whisk attachment and whisk over medium speed until creamy and fluffy. Do not over mix as the mixture will become runny. You want the frosting to just about drop off the spoon.
- To build the cake, place the first layer on a cake plate or other serving platter. Spread a layer of cream cheese. Repeat the same process for the second layer.
- Add the final layer of cake, finish it off with cream cheese frosting and chopped walnuts. Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.
If this recipe has left you drooling, then don’t hold back, get baking, and then tag us on Instagram @bonrawfoods. Share the Good-Sweet love.
Featuring BONRAW Organic Coconut Blossom Sugar.