- 9 hot cross buns
- Prep Time
- 2 hours 30 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
Honour a tasty Easter tradition, with these golden, fresh, and homemade Maple, Chocolate & Pecan Hot Cross Buns. Indulge yourself in a bake that creates a mouth-watering aroma, with sweet and treacly excellence delivered by Fine Organic Maple Sugar and Lurpak, our classic choice of butter.
- 300 g of strong white bread flour
- 10 g of dried active baking yeast
- 40 g of BONRAW Fine Organic Maple Sugar
- 1 tsp + ½ tsp of cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg
- ¼ tsp of ground cloves
- A pinch of salt
- 50 g of Lurpak unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 180 ml of whole milk
- 75 g of dark chocolate chips
- 30 g of pecans
Ingredients for the crosses:
- 7 tbsp of flour
- 6 tbsp of water
- In a small saucepan, melt 50 g of Lurpak unsalted butter and then let it cool to room temperature.
- Place 300 g of flour, 10 g of yeast, 40 g of Fine Organic Maple Sugar, 1 ½ tsp of cinnamon, ¼ tsp of nutmeg, ¼ tsp of cloves, and a pinch of salt in the bowl of a kitchen stand mixer (with the hook dough attachment). Mix briefly to combine.
- Once your unsalted butter has cooled, pour it into a measuring jug and whisk it with 1 cracked egg and 180 ml of whole milk. Then pour this mixture into your dry ingredients.
- Mix together on a low speed for 2 minutes to form a shaggy dough. Then increase the speed to medium and mix for another 5 minutes until you have a smooth elastic dough that no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and add 75 g of dark chocolate chips and 30 g of chopped pecans. Knead the dough by hand until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Place the dough into a bowl covered with clingfilm. Leave it to rise for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Before returning to your dough pre-heat the oven to (fan) 180˚C.
- Return to your dough and start forming it into buns just smaller than a tennis ball. Place these buns on a baking tray (with parchment paper). Cover loosely with clingfilm then allow them to rise for another 30 minutes in the oven.
- Remove the tray from the oven and keep the buns warm by covering them with kitchen towels.
- Mix together 7 tbsp of flour and 6 tbsp of water. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag and pipe the classic crosses on the top of the buns.
- Bake at (fan) 180˚C for 30 minutes or until the hot cross buns are golden brown and cooked through.
- After baking time, remove them from the oven and immediately brush the top with butter for a picture-perfect golden glaze.
- Allow the buns to cool slightly before serving with or without butter.
- If you like your hot cross buns extra-sweet, you can use apricot jam instead of butter for the glaze.
- Store any leftover buns wrapped up tightly at room temperature for 1-2 days. You can also freeze them up for up to 1 month.
- You can toast the buns for a couple of minutes and then enjoy your warm hot cross bun with butter.