Servings: 4-5 Portions
Prep Time: 10 mins + overnight refrigeration
Cooking time: 50 mins
This BBQ pork belly is a work of art. Prepared with a pie rub that combines and balances powerful flavours that permeate through the meat. Drizzled in a pouring glaze that delivers pleasing hints of rich, amber-caramel flavours from the Maple Syrup and Organic Fine Maple Sugar.
Ingredients for the pork belly:
- 1.5-2 kg free-range pork belly, skin on
- 75 g rock salt
Ingredients for the sugar pie rub:
- 50 g of BONRAW Organic Fine Maple Sugar
- 35 g fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp onion granules
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
Ingredients for the pork pouring glaze:
- 150 ml of pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 150 ml sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp sea salt flakes
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- Remainder of the sugar pie rub
Method for the pork belly:
- We recommend that you begin the pork preparation the night before, by taking a paring knife and making lots of small stabs into the pork skin (make sure the knife doesn’t go all the way through the meat). This will help you achieve a good crackling.
- Then cover with 75 g of rock salt, and place uncovered in a shallow baking tin for overnight refrigeration.
- The next day, remove from the fridge and use a paper towel to remove the excess rock salt and to dry the pork belly. Then place skin side down on some paper towels.
- Now, you can prepare the sugar pie rub. Combine 50 g of Organic Fine Maple Sugar, 35g of sea salt, 1 tbsp of black pepper and 1 tsp cinnamon powder with 1 tbsp smoked paprika, 1 tbsp onion granules, and 1 tbsp garlic powder.
- Once the sugar pie rub has been prepared, liberally sprinkle it over the meaty side of your pork belly (leaving some for your pork pouring glaze). You don’t need to apply any to the skin of the pork.
- Now, your pork belly is ready for cooking! Set up your BBQ at 180˚C for indirect cooking. Place your pork belly skin side up (place a foil pan below the grates to capture any fat).
- Close the lid and leave the pork belly to cook for 40-50 minutes, or until the crackling is looking nice and crispy. Your best indicator will be to use a thermometer, if the internal temperature is higher than 75˚C, it is cooked to a safe temperature.
Method for the pork pouring glaze:
- Make sure you have someone manning your BBQ, so you can go and prepare your pork pouring glaze! Combine 150 ml of maple syrup, 150 ml of sherry vinegar, 1 tbsp of sea salt flakes, ½ tsp of cinnamon powder, and the remainder of your sugar pie rub. Mix well to achieve a nice dark, smooth and glossy glaze.
- Now, for the best part. Serve your pork belly by slicing it into finger-thick slices and drizzle it in the glaze. Mmm… perfection!
If this recipe has left you drooling, then don’t hold back, get cooking, and then tag us on Instagram @bonrawfoods. Share the Good-Sweet love.
Featuring BONRAW Organic Fine Maple Sugar.
Recipe and Images courtesy of our friends at Maple From Canada.