Time: 50 minutes + cooling time
Servings: 8-10 slices
An iced fluffy sponge, with cool fresh berries. The epitome of a summertime bake. Refreshing, juicy, and colourful. Pour in Bonraw’s Silver Birch Caster to get the springy sponge you deserve that’s also sugar-free!
- 4 medium eggs (at room temperature)
- 225 g BONRAW Silver Birch Caster, plus 3 tbsp for the coulis and 65g for the cream
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 300 g fresh berries (for the coulis)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (for the coulis)
- 400 g whipping cream (for the cream)
- Dashes of vanilla extract (for the cream)
- For the sponge, combine sifted self-raising flour and baking powder in a medium-size bowl and then set aside.
- Grease two 20cm cake pans with butter or sprays and preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Using a stand mixer (fitted with a paddle attachment), add the butter and Silver Birch Caster to the mixing bowl and beat together until light in colour and fluffy (for about 2 minutes). Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until mostly combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to ensure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter in three intervals, waiting until mostly combined before adding the next one.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans and bake at 160°C for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool for about 5 minutes in the cake pans, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- For the mixed berry coulis: add the mixed berries, BONRAW Silver Birch Caster and lemon juice to a medium saucepan. Gently heat and cook on medium heat. Crush the fruit with the back of a spoon until the fruit starts to break down reduce and the juices coat the back of the spoon.
- Strain through a sieve, then chill the sauce at the same time as the cake.
- When you are ready to put the cake together: make the whipped cream. Add the whipping cream, 65 g BONRAW Silver Birch Caster, and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl. Whip on high speed until medium to stiff peaks forms.
- To build the cake, place the first layer onto a cake plate or other serving platter. Spread a layer of whipped cream.
- Add 3-4 tbsp of the mixed berry coulis on top of the whipped cream and add more cream on top.
- Add the second and final layer of cake, finish it off with some whipped cream and fresh berries. If you wish you could also add a drizzle of coulis on top.
- Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve. The cake and coulis can be made up to a day ahead, but the cake is best if layered together the day it will be served.
If this recipe has left you drooling, then don’t hold back, get baking, and then tag us on Instagram @bonrawfoods. Share the Good-Sweet love.
Featuring BONRAW Silver Birch Caster