The best sangria (and patatas bravas) was devoured in Madrid years ago on our travels. Now long summer evenings are not the same without a pitcher in the garden and glass in hand. A good sangria is an experience all of its own. Pair with BONRAW Organic Panela, the perfect match for this taste experience.
- 750 ml of red wine
- 100 g of BONRAW Organic Panela
- 185 ml of brandy
- Sparkling water or soda water to top up the glasses
- 1 big apple (sliced)
- Juice from 2 oranges +1 sliced orange
- Juice from 1 lemon +1 sliced lemon
- 1 sliced lime
- Cinnamon sticks
- 100 g of boiling water
Method for the syrup:
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and pour in 100 g of BONRAW Organic Panela. Stir until dissolved. Remove from the heat, and transfer to a sealed container to cool. For a simple syrup, use a 1:1 ratio. Let it cool while you prepare the rest of the sangria.
Method for Red Sangria:
- Juice two oranges and 1 lemon. Slice any fruit that is leftover.
- Combine your sangria ingredients. Transfer your wine into a big jug or bowl and add the citrus juices and sugar syrup.
- Now give it a stir and add your spices, any additional fruit, and brandy. Add your sparkling water right before drinking.
Our top tips for making Red Sangria:
- Use a table wine, (you’ll want to use something that you’d enjoy drinking on its own and one that isn’t too complex). It is important that it’s good quality, and important that it isn’t too oaky in flavour. A fruity red wine works best.
- If you want your sangria to pack more of a punch, add a Spanish brandy or Vermouth.
- Orange and apples are commonly used in red sangria, but you can also opt for peaches and/or apricots.
- You can top your glass off with sparkling water or soda water if you enjoy an extra fizz. Add this right before drinking.