The Turkish delight of cupcakes. Delivered completely sugar-free. A floral taste sensation with an enchanting look and flavour. Rosewater, orange blossom, lemon & almond feature in the sponge, while a lemon saffron drizzle and lemon icing add the idyllic final touches.
- 12 Cupcakes
- Prep Time
- 18 Minutes
- Cook Time
- 22 Minutes
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
- 145 g of self-raising flour
- 145 g of Silver Birch Caster
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- 145 g of unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp of milk
- 1 ½ tsp of rose water (Nielsen Massey)
- 1 tsp of orange extract (Nielsen Massey)
- 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice
Ingredients for the drizzle:
- 1 large pinch of saffron
- 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of water
- 2 tbsp of Silver Birch Caster
Ingredients for the icing:
- 195 g of Silver Birch Icing
- 1 tbsp + ½ tsp of water
- 1 tbsp + ½ tsp of lemon juice
Ingredients for the decoration:
- Edible rose petals
- Finely chopped pistachio nuts
- Edible gold leaves
Method for Lemon, Rose & Saffron Cupcakes
- To begin, preheat the oven to (fan) 170˚C and line a cupcake/muffin pan with 12 cupcake cases.
- Using a stand mixer, (fitted with the paddle attachment), sieve 145 g of self-raising flour and ½ tsp baking powder. Add 145 g of Silver Birch Caster and stir briefly to combine.
- On a low speed, add 145 g of unsalted butter, then mix well at medium speed.
- Once again at a low speed, add one egg at a time. (Make sure each one is well combined before adding the next one).
- Turn up the speed to medium-high for 1 minute. Decrease to a low speed again and add 2 tsp of milk, 1 ½ tsp of rose water, 1 tsp of orange extract, and 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice.
- Put the mixer back to a medium-high speed for one last blast to ensure all ingredients are well combined.
- Then stop the mixer, remove the paddle attachment, and begin spooning the batter into cupcake cases. Scrape the sides and give a final mix with a spatula to catch anything missed by the paddle at the bottom.
- Use a dessert spoon and teaspoon to scoop the batter into the cupcake cases.
- Now, let’s make those cakes rise! Bake for 22 minutes at (fan) 170˚C. (Turn the tray around halfway through baking time if you can). After baking, poke the cupcakes with a skewer, it should come out clean if the cupcakes are ready.
Method for the drizzle:
- As soon as the cakes go into the oven, start making the lemon & saffron drizzle.
- Place the saffron threads into a small saucepan with 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of water. Then set this aside to bloom until 5 minutes before the cupcakes come out of the oven.
- When the cupcakes are nearly ready, remove the saffron threads and add 2 tbsp of Silver Birch Caster to the mixture. Heat gently on the stove to dissolve the Silver Birch Caster, then wait for it to come to a boil before removing it from the heat.
- Once the cupcakes are out of the oven poke holes in them using a cocktail stick and then spoon the lemon & saffron drizzle over them.
- If you’re not decorating with lemon icing, then you can complete your cupcakes by scattering crushed rose petals and pistachio nuts over the top.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before icing.
Method for the icing:
- Pour 195 g of Silver Birch Icing into a bowl, add 1 ½ tbsp of water and 1 ½ tbsp of lemon juice slowly until a thick drizzly and slightly spreadable consistency is achieved.
- Decorate each cupcake with a generous teaspoon of icing. (Use a small palette to gently guide the icing to the edges of the cupcakes).
- To add some extra beauty to your cupcakes, scatter crushed rose petals and pistachio nuts over the top. Finish with some small pieces of edible gold leave.
- The cupcakes will be best enjoyed within 2 days of making them. Store in an airtight container to maintain freshness
Not all rose waters are equal. In this recipe, we have used Nielsen Massey rose water, which is quite strong. If you’re using milder rose water, then feel free to add more to the recipe. However, too much rose water can be overpowering.
If this recipe has left you drooling, then don’t hold back, get baking, and then tag us on Instagram @bonrawfoods. Share the Good-Sweet love.
Featuring BONRAW Silver Birch Icing & Silver Birch Caster