Servings: 20 shortbreads.
Time: 45 minutes + cooling time 40 minutes
Bake yourself a fresh batch of Demerara Shortbread and allow your home to be filled with that cosy, storybook scent. We've elevated this classic recipe and added hints of fruity and rustic sweetness from our Organic Demerara Sugar. It adds a glistening final touch and delivers a dreamy crunch and crumble.
- 180 g of unsalted butter
- 85 g of BONRAW Organic Demerara Sugar
- 1 tsp + ½ tsp of vanilla extract
- 260 g of flour
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 orange zest
- To begin, beat together 180 g of unsalted butter, 85 g of Organic Demerara Sugar, 1 ½ tsp of vanilla extract, ½ tsp of salt, and fresh orange with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed, until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Approx 2 minutes.
- Pour in 260 g of flour and mix on low speed until a stiff dough forms. The dough might appear too dry at first but continue beating and stop halfway through to remove the dough from the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Stop mixing as soon as begins to combine.
- Prepare your workbench by placing a large piece of plastic wrap on the counter. Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and place it on top of the plastic wrap. Shape the dough into a disk about 1-inch thick. Wrap the plastic around the dough and place it in the fridge to chill until it firms up. Approx 20 minutes.
- Prepare for baking by arranging racks in the lower and upper thirds of your oven. Preheat it to 150˚C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Generously dust your workspace with flour. Remove your dough from the fridge and place it on the counter. If the dough feels too stiff, then firmly but gently press the rolling pin into the dough. Repeatedly tap the whole surface of the dough to encourage its pliability.
- Roll the dough to ½ an inch thick and roll from the centre outwards in all directions. Lift and rotate slightly after a few strokes and dust with flour to prevent sticking.
- Begin cutting your shortbread using a ½-inch round cookie cutter (dusted with flour). Space the shortbread about 1-inch apart on the parchment-lined baking sheets. Gather up any scraps and form them into more shortbread. No need to waste good dough!
- Now, for the picture-perfect final touches, sprinkle each shortbread with Organic Demerara Sugar.
- Place the shortbread in the oven and bake until they start to turn lightly golden on the sides and bottom. Approx 30 minutes, make sure to rotate the trays halfway through. Once ready, the middle of the shortbread should appear matte and feel dry to the touch. The baking time will depend on how thick your shortbread is.
- Remove the shortbread from the oven, and sprinkle some more BONRAW Organic Demerara Sugar for extra sweetness and shine. Allow the shortbread to cool outside the oven for 10 minutes before transferring them onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Then, enjoy! Your shortbread cookies can be shared and stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
If this recipe has left you drooling, then don’t hold back, get baking, and then tag us on Instagram @bonrawfoods. Share the Good-Sweet love.
Featuring BONRAW Organic Demerara Sugar.