Servings: 20 twists
Time: 30 minutes
Time to delve into a guilt-free twist you never knew you needed. Baklava Churros. Puff pastry rolled and filled with walnuts, pistachios, cinnamon, cloves, and Silver Birch Caster. Delivered churros-style and dipped into a sugar-free chocolate sauce. No Nutella in sight.
Ingredients for Churros:
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 50 g of olive oil
- 40 g of walnuts
- 40 g of pistachio
- 100 g of Silver Birch Caster
- 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of ground cloves
- Zest of a lemon
- A pinch of salt
Ingredients for the chocolate sauce:
- 60 ml of water
- 60 g of Silver Birch Caster
- 50 g of cocoa powder
- A pinch of salt
- 3 drops of vanilla extract
Method for churros:
- To begin, chop 40 g of walnuts and 40 g of pistachios with a sharp knife or you can place them in a blender/food processor. Blend or chop until you create coarse crumbs.
- Combine the nuts with 100 g of Silver Birch Caster, 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon, 1 tbsp of ground cloves, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (fan), and then line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut 2 sheets of puff pastry into long strips (around 12 per sheet). Make sure the puff pastry is chilled while you use it. Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry.
- Brush 50 g of olive oil over the puff pastry strips and then sprinkle with the crumb mixture you previously prepared.
- Sprinkle until the pastry strips are fully coated (on one side only), and then twist each strip 4 to 6 times.
- Place the twists onto the parchment-lined baking trays and bake at 180˚C (fan) for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. (If the puff pastry is too warm before baking, then place the twists in the fridge for 10 minutes).
Method for chocolate sauce:
- Grab a saucepan and add 60 g of Silver Birch Caster, 50 g of cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, and 3 drops of vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Once the ingredients are well combined you can begin adding in the water. Do this slowly, (you don’t want to drown your ingredients), and continue mixing well until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Time to add some heat! Put your saucepan on medium heat and wait for it to come to a boil. Stirring constantly.
- Once it starts to boil, reduce the temperature to very low heat. (Minimum: Gas Mark 1). Continue to stir the mixture until it becomes thickened to a syrup consistency.
- Then remove from the heat and transfer your sauce to a heat-proof dish. Allow your sauce to cool down before serving.
- And then use this delectable chocolate sauce to make your Baklava Churros extra-indulgent!