Bonraw’s Silver Birch range used in all the right ways to serve your sweet tooth. Our fine-milled Silver Birch icing sugar lays a bed for Silver Birch fine crystal-coated candied oranges. A rich and earthy Bundt cake that will leave your tastebuds wanting more.
- Prep Time
- 2 hours
- Passive Time
- 1 day
Ingredients for candied orange slices:
- 3 oranges, medium size
- Ice water
- 300g of Bonraw Silver Birch
- Additional Bonraw Silver Birch for coating
Ingredients for coffee and chocolate bundt cake:
- 60g of instant coffee
- 160g of dark 70% chocolate
- 160g of hot water
- 205g of plain flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 215g of Greek yoghurt
- 160g of butter
- 300g of Bonraw Silver Birch
- 4 medium eggs
Ingredients for the glaze:
- 130g of icing sugar
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Method for the candied orange slices:
- Wash and dry oranges and cut them into small circular slices.
- In a saucepan, add water and bring to boil
- Add the orange slices and boil for 1 minute
- Transfer the orange slices to the bowl of ice water.
- Remove 375g of the boiled water from the saucepan that was used for boiling. Discard the rest.
- Add this water of reserved orange flavoured water in a large saucepan at medium-low heat, add BONRAW Silverbirch sugar, mix and bring to a boil. Be sure to stir occasionally until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Lower the heat. Arrange orange slices.
- Simmer for 45-50 minutes or until the rinds are a bit translucent. Be sure to swirl the orange slices in the pot every few minutes to make sure they are evenly coated with this sugar syrup.
- Place these slices on a cooling rack, let these candied orange slices sit for 24 hours at room temperature or until dry.
- After that time, dip each orange slice in Bonraw Silver Birch until fully coated.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Method for the coffee and chocolate bundt cake:
- Sift instant coffee, into a medium bowl, add dark chocolate and boiling water and whisk until the coffee is completely dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add Bonraw Silver Birch and beat on medium speed for 5 more minutes, scraping down the sides with a spatula as necessary.
- Add the Greek yoghurt and mix until is fully incorporated.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure each one is fully incorporated before adding the next one.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in batches, alternating with the coffee mixture.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes at 175 C degrees Fan or until a cake tester inserted in the centre of it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pans for a few minutes, then take out and place the cake on a cooling rack.
Method for the glaze:
- Combine the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and salt in a bowl. Stir until smooth. Add more milk as needed to thin out the consistency.